10 Things I Learned During The Year of 36 (and an announcement)
Last week I celebrated my 37th birthday. Thirty Seven. (gulp)
For several weeks leading up to the big day, I was doing my best to avoid the situation entirely. It’s not that I don’t enjoy a good party (I do) but as I reflected on “The Year of 36” I found myself somewhat disappointed by the *thought* that I should have accomplished more at this point in my life and haven’t. When you’re young and ambitious it’s easy to come up with a laundry list of epic shit you’re going to have nailed by the time you get to the ripe old age of 37.
To my young friends and readers, some free advice: It turns out that 37 can sneak up on your ass! No matter how LOOONG away that seems, it’s gonna catch up in a hurry (don’t say I didn’t warn you).
However, The Year of 36 also brought me several unforgettable, life-changing events and learning’s, proving that my journey is unfolding exactly as it should be. That I am, in fact, precisely where I am meant to be. I’ve never been more clear and connected to myself and it feels damn good!
10 IMPORTANT THINGS I LEARNED DURING THE YEAR OF 36:
- You can absolutely do the thing that most people won’t understand. Go ahead, go to Cali for a week to learn how to be a life coach. You’re the one in charge of your destiny.
- That long list of shit that you need to handle in order to start a coaching practice…it’s daunting but you can do it. Be intentional with your time and your energy.
- You actually CAN allow yourself to be vulnerable and you won’t die right there on the spot. Tell your Tribe when you need them – they will come running.
- Things will not work out like you thought they would and that’s ok. You busted your ass and poured your heart and soul into that project but in the end, it didn’t provide what you thought it would. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be proud of what you accomplished.
- Go on the date. Worst case scenario you meet a wonderful guy and he is absolutely be the wrong person for you. Walk away gracefully honoring your self-worth and values. It’s best for both of you.
- People will surprise you – alot. Never assume you know someone’s story because you most likely have no idea and when you’re willing to listen, you’ll be given an incredible gift.
- New challenges will be dumped on your ass when it is least convenient. It’s ok…you were born to take them on. Keep your focus.
- Go on vacation. And leave your work laptop at home – trust me, it’s good for you.
- Be you. Everyday. There is no better feeling than knowing exactly who you are and fiercely loving it. Own it. You worked damn hard to get there.
- Perhaps most importantly; watch your thoughts. Your thoughts have a way of kicking your own ass and it’s easy to let negative thoughts become negative energy, emotions and feelings in your life. It’s simple, if you want to feel better, think better.
Looking ahead to The Year of 37 I will be even more intentional and focused and would like to help some badass women do the same thing so in January I will offer a Vision Board workshop to help you Dream More, Believe More and Achieve More in 2017.
What is a Vision Board? Glad you asked!
A Vision Board (also sometimes called a Treasure Map or an Image Bank or Creativity Collage) is a poster board. On this poster board, you paste (or collage) images that you’ve torn out from various magazines. The images can be very specific – this is what I want my closet to look like! Or they can be images that evoke a feeling – like a picture of a woman meditating that makes you feel deeply peaceful.
The truth behind this technique is this:
When you surround yourself with images of who you want to become, what you want to have, where you want to live or vacation, your life changes to match those images and those desires. Your attention is that powerful.
Stay tuned for more information in the coming weeks on the Vision Board Workshop! Comment below if you’d like to be first on the list as there will be limited space available.